Subject: bug#59598: "Unsupported manifest format" error

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:22:22 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 22:06, Tyler Wolf via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I then can see that my ~/.guix-profile/manifest is empty, thus I think
> it is safe to say that this is where the issue is originating, however
> I am unable to rewrite this file, so I was wondering if there was any
> fix to this?

This file lives in the store.  Hum, I am surprised that a power shutdown
removed this file.

Well, I do not know if you can recover this empty file.  At least, you
can the previous generation; e.g., guix package --roll-back.

Or you can extract a previous manifest with,

  guix package -p /var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USER>/guix-profile-<NUMBER>-link \
       --export-manifest > /tmp/manifest-<NUMBER>.scm

where <USER> and <NUMBER> depends on.  Then,

  guix package -m /tmp/manifest-<NUMBER>scm

will reinstall the same list of packages but at their current version
(the ones of current Guix revision; guix describe).

Cheers,
simon