Subject: 28.1; `minibuffer-with-setup-hook' with :append

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 02:55:50 +0000

Starting from `emacs -Q', try to use `minibuffer-with-setup-hook' with a
list as its arg FUN, where the car is :append and the cadr is a function.
I get an error no matter how I try to interpret the description of the
FUN arg with :append.

The code for the macro does seem to try to handle :append, to construct
code that calls `add-hook' with a non-nil APPEND arg.  But `macroexpand'
with any such list arg to `minibuffer-with-setup-hook' (:append FUNCTION)
doesn't seem to construct an `add-hook' sexp with an APPEND arg.

I see this in every Emacs version that has `minibuffer-with-setup-hook'.
Maybe I'm just not understanding the doc string.  What's an example of
using `minibuffer-with-setup-hook' with (:append FUNCTION), that results
in FUNCTION being appended to `minibuffer-setup-hook', instead of
raising an error?

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-04-21 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.2251)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'