Subject: bug#59545: closed (Re: bug#59545: 29.0.50; Eshell fails to redirect output of sourced eshell file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 20:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59545: 29.0.50; Eshell fails to redirect output of sourced eshell file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59545: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59545
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59545: 29.0.50; Eshell fails to redirect output of sourced eshell file
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:02:38 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 12/21/2022 5:20 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> I'll wait to merge my changes to master for a couple days to give others 
> time to comment though, since those changes are more extensive.

Merged to master as 17bf6a829ca2fd2920c01e1aee30ab16b9c672eb. (I guess 
that was only a day and not "a couple days", but I think it would be 
good to get this on the master branch so that a wider audience can test 
it to verify that everything is ok.)

Closing this now.

Subject: 29.0.50; Eshell fails to redirect output of sourced eshell file
From: Milan Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:49:04 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs 29 Eshell Bug: Sourcing 'redirect-echo.esh' and redirecting output
to a file, results in the first echo string ('hello') showing in eshell,
only the second ('there')(presumably because it is last) showing in the
output file.

To reproduce: Create a eshell script named 'redirect-echo.esh' with two
echo commands then source the script, redirecting the stdout to another
file or buffer,

Actual result:

tmp $ cat redirect-echo.esh
echo hello
echo there
tmp $ source redirect-echo.esh > redirect-echo.out
hello
tmp $ cat redirect-echo.out
theretmp $

Expected result:

tmp $ cat redirect-echo.esh
echo hello
echo there
tmp $ source redirect-echo.esh > redirect-echo.out
tmp $ cat redirect-echo.out
hello
there
tmp $

As a note, the same behavior if elisp "print" is used instead of
echo. Also the same behavior if I redirect output to an Emacs buffer
instead of the file.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
 --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --disable-build-details --without-pop
 --with-mailutils --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --with-file-notification=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-x --with-json --without-xim --with-sound --with-xpm
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus
 --without-xft --without-gpm --with-pgtk --without-native-compilation
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo
 --without-xwidgets --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall
 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS'
 LDFLAGS=-flto=auto'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pcmpl-unix
em-unix em-term term disp-table shell subr-x ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias
esh-mode eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib files-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77374 9505)
 (symbols 48 8750 0)
 (strings 32 24407 2625)
 (string-bytes 1 719677)
 (vectors 16 15061)
 (vector-slots 8 203823 6855)
 (floats 8 34 37)
 (intervals 56 583 0)
 (buffers 984 12))