Subject: bug#59545: 29.0.50; Eshell fails to redirect output of sourced eshell file

From: Milan Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:49:04 -0500

Emacs 29 Eshell Bug: Sourcing 'redirect-echo.esh' and redirecting output
to a file, results in the first echo string ('hello') showing in eshell,
only the second ('there')(presumably because it is last) showing in the
output file.

To reproduce: Create a eshell script named 'redirect-echo.esh' with two
echo commands then source the script, redirecting the stdout to another
file or buffer,

Actual result:

tmp $ cat redirect-echo.esh
echo hello
echo there
tmp $ source redirect-echo.esh > redirect-echo.out
hello
tmp $ cat redirect-echo.out
theretmp $

Expected result:

tmp $ cat redirect-echo.esh
echo hello
echo there
tmp $ source redirect-echo.esh > redirect-echo.out
tmp $ cat redirect-echo.out
hello
there
tmp $

As a note, the same behavior if elisp "print" is used instead of
echo. Also the same behavior if I redirect output to an Emacs buffer
instead of the file.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
 --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --disable-build-details --without-pop
 --with-mailutils --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --with-file-notification=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-x --with-json --without-xim --with-sound --with-xpm
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus
 --without-xft --without-gpm --with-pgtk --without-native-compilation
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo
 --without-xwidgets --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall
 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS'
 LDFLAGS=-flto=auto'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pcmpl-unix
em-unix em-term term disp-table shell subr-x ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias
esh-mode eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib files-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77374 9505)
 (symbols 48 8750 0)
 (strings 32 24407 2625)
 (string-bytes 1 719677)
 (vectors 16 15061)
 (vector-slots 8 203823 6855)
 (floats 8 34 37)
 (intervals 56 583 0)
 (buffers 984 12))