Subject: bug#59532: 28.2; Unable to build emacs with tree-sitter installed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 13:44:22 +0200

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 10:41:00 +0000
> 
> > It is not wrong, it just assumes a well-configured system, where shared
> > libraries live in a sensible place.
> 
> No, if one follow the directions in "* Building Emacs with tree-sitter"
> it will fail, well-configured system or not as long as you consider
> "/usr/local/lib" as a wrong place to install tree-sitter.

/usr/local/lib is not a wrong place.  Depending on your system
configuration, it might be right or it might be wrong.

> I just remind you that it is tree-sitter itself with make+make install
> that install tree-sitter libs in this place.

No, that's the tree-sitter's _default_.  When you use its Makefile, you are
supposed to review it and change the default as needed.

> I just say that for people trying to install tree-sitter, if it just for
> me I am fine with "--without-tree-sitter".

Those notes are not for everyone, they will be deleted soon.  They were
meant to help people who wanted to work on new modes based on tree-sitter.