Subject: bug#59527: 29.0.50; Face issues in show-paren context overlay

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:55:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gabriel & Eli,

>> (progn
>>     ;; enable overlay context in show-paren
>>     (setopt show-paren-context-when-offscreen 'overlay)

Note that the issue was also present with t (minibuffer message) or the
child-frame version.

The issue is hopefully fixed with 005efce764.  Please report back.

>> Problem 1: the overlay context does not have font-lock, since
>> font-lock was not applied to the previous area that contains the
>> context.

I now ensure the region is font-locked before taking the
buffer-substring(s).

>> Problem 2: the overlay context will be displayed with the same
>> background color as the top-left line of the window (yellow, in this
>> case, because of whitespace-mode).

I now set the overlay priority to (the very high) show-paren-priority
which seems to do the trick.

Bye,
Tassilo