Subject: bug#59522: closed (Re: bug#59522: 29.0.50; `C-x C-c' on undeleted frame closes Emacs server)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 06:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59522: 29.0.50; `C-x C-c' on undeleted frame closes Emacs server

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59522: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59522
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59522: 29.0.50; `C-x C-c' on undeleted frame closes Emacs server
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Igor Epstein <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 08:24:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Igor Epstein <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 22:37:16 +0200
> 
> Now that you explained it, it is obvious this is not a bug indeed.
> I didn't realize the undeleted frame stops being a client frame. The behaviour is
> surprising for sure.
> Please discard/close the bug. I will try to hack around this for my own purposes.
> Thank you for the explanation, Eli.

Thanks, closed.

Subject: 29.0.50; `C-x C-c' on undeleted frame closes Emacs server
From: Igor Epstein <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 15:40:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello. There is a sequence of actions that triggers shutting down Emacs
server when using undelete frame and `C-x C-c' it.
1. Start with the following init.el:
(require 'server)
(unless (server-running-p) (server-start))
(undelete-frame-mode)
2. In a graphical terminal emulator, run `emacs'
3. In another window of a terminal emulator, run `emacsclient -c'
4. Ensure the second frame is selected, use `C-x C-c'
5. Undelete the frame and again use `C-x C-c' inside the undeleted frame
6. Observe that both frames are now closed
7. Running `emacsclient -c' produces "can't find socket; have you
started the server?"

As far as I saw, this is not reproducible with `emacsclient -nc' or when
a frame is deleted by `C-x 5 0'.

Thank you in advance.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-11-23 built on igorLap
Repository revision: 5e8c62ffcae473b89e268e0081d4041fb19abef7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-mailutils --with-sound=alsa
 --with-imagemagick --with-json --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-xaw3d --without-gsettings --without-gconf --with-small-ja-dic
 --with-xwidgets --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2
 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 'CXXFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib mule-util jka-compr info server
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 92407 7513)
 (symbols 48 7581 0)
 (strings 32 23773 1926)
 (string-bytes 1 675142)
 (vectors 16 16493)
 (vector-slots 8 337177 14253)
 (floats 8 128 25)
 (intervals 56 669 0)
 (buffers 984 12))