Subject: Re: bug#59502: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Dedicated buffers per project

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 03:37:09 +0200

Hi!

On 23/11/22 07:11, Gabriel wrote:
> In summary, project.el currently has the following behavior and
> customization options:
> 
> | Project Command                   | Generated Buffer         | Current Behavior              | Customization Options                      |
> |-----------------------------------+--------------------------+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------|
> | `project-find-regexp'             | "*xref*"                 | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-or-external-find-regexp' | "*xref*"                 | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-list-buffers'            | "*Buffer List*"          | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-kill-buffers'            | "*Buffer List*"          | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-shell-command'           | "*Shell Command Output*" | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-async-shell-command'     | "*Async Shell Command*"  | Use a default buffer          | Not available                              |
> | `project-compile`                 | "*compilation*"          | Use a default buffer          | `project-compilation-buffer-name-function' |
> | `project-vc-dir'                  | "*vc-dir*"               | Use a default buffer          | Through uniquify.el defcustom's            |
> | `project-shell'                   | "*shell*"                | Use a project prefixed buffer | Not available                              |
> | `project-eshell'                  | "*eshell*"               | Use a project prefixed buffer | Not available                              |
> 
> My suggestion is to improve the consistency of how project-related
> buffers are created and named, providing sufficient customization
> options for users.

This is a nice initiative, and the patch you sent seems to handle most 
of the technical issues.

There's one thing, though: some of these buffers might only start to be 
project-related, but then "relate" to some different project a little 
after. Buffers such as Dired, Shell and Eshell.

For the rest, this probably makes sense. I do wish we had an "upvote" 
button on these threads, to see how many people are interested in this.

Anyone would like to +1?