Subject: Re: bug#59502: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Dedicated buffers per project

From: Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 23:55:19 -0300

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> This is a nice initiative, and the patch you sent seems to handle most of the
> technical issues.
>
> There's one thing, though: some of these buffers might only start to be
> project-related, but then "relate" to some different project a little
> after. Buffers such as Dired, Shell and Eshell.
>
> For the rest, this probably makes sense. I do wish we had an "upvote" button on
> these threads, to see how many people are interested in this.
>
> Anyone would like to +1?

Hi Dmitry,

I agree, some buffers (Shell, Eshell and Dired) allows the user to
navigate to a different location, which would move away from the
starting project.

For Shell and Eshell buffers, the tentative patch in this bug report do
not change the current behavior (which uses
project-prefixed-buffer-name).  For Dired buffers, the buffer name is
not explicitly handled by project.el (can be controlled via
uniquify.el).

I don't have a good answer on how to properly handle these cases.  A
possible approach would be to monitor for location changes on these
buffers (e.g.: via hooks or advices) and to update the buffer name
accordingly, but seems to be an overkill.  My suggestion is to leave
this small inconvenience (buffer name and location out-of-sync) as it is
today.

The good news is that project.el already properly handles the cases when
the buffer location is moved away from a project (e.g.: project-dired,
project-find-dir, project-switch-to-buffer, project-list-buffers,
project-kill-buffers etc), since buffer names do not really mater (only
its real location).

---
Gabriel