Subject: bug#59489: bug#57292: [PATCH] WIP: gnu: propagate inputs for gdm and rework gdm-service-type.

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:25:49 +0000

Hi,

On 10.02.24 04:06, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> I have never attempted to customize gnome-shell.  If it can be
> customized with custom themes, different fonts and what not, then I
> think it makes sense to keep the user-choosable art assets as
> gnome-shell-assets.
> 

I tried in a vm with only gdm-service-type (and no gnome) and the assets 
also wrapped inside gdm and got a white box as a cursor. This might be 
caused by adwaita not being in the profile (which gnome-shell-assets 
also get added to) but I am not sure about this.

> Otherwise, if it's not configurable and expects only a specific font,
> specific icons, etc., then it seems it'd make sense that it finds them
> out of the gate (wrapped from within a phase).
> 
> Could someone confirm whether GDM is configurable when it comes to icons
> and fonts?
> 
> Thanks for working on it, Dariqq!
> 

I'd suggest leaving the gnome-shell-assets as is for now and deal with 
the gdm customisation issue at another time as it looks like it is more 
complicated than just adding the assets to the wrapper.

Regarding the patch should I create and send it or someone of you? (I 
don't really care)

And if the answer is me should the patch be against master or gnome-team 
branch?

Cheers