Subject: bug#59489: bug#57292: [PATCH] WIP: gnu: propagate inputs for gdm and rework gdm-service-type.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 20:26:26 +0100

Am Sonntag, dem 04.02.2024 um 08:53 +0000 schrieb Dariqq:
> 
> On 30.01.24 06:27, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> 
> > In my opinion, adding gnome-shell and gnome-control-center to gdm-
> > configuration-gnome-shell-assets would be preferable to propagating
> > inputs.
> > 
> > WDYT?
> 
> 
> This is basically my original patch in
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57292#3.
> 
> If i understand it correctly Maxim wants gdm to take care of all of 
> dependencies providing functionality and handcrafting the environment
> with gdm-shepherd-service and gdm-configuration-gnome-shell-assets
> feels like a hacky workaround.
Yes, it seems Maxim and I have conflicting goals.  Maxim wants to avoid
"abusing" gnome-shell-assets whereas I want to avoid propagation, as it
pollutes profiles.  Perhaps Maxim and I can agree on how to interpret
gnome-shell-assets, as IIUC even with packages that aren't "pure data"
only the data portion of it ought to be relevant, no?

We should do so especially because the newly propagated variables are
anyhow propagated by gnome-desktop-service, which could constitute
weird behaviour all around.

Cheers