Subject: bug#59489: gdm: Accessibility icon missing in log in screen

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:09:39 +0000

Hi Maxim,

On 20.01.24 04:12, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> 
> Since this is, as the name implies, intended for artwork or other
> non-functional "assets", perhaps these package should be propagated by
> the gdm package itself?  Would that have achieve the same?
> 

That's what I tried initially and confirmed again today that it doesn't 
work for both inputs or propagated inputs. (the icon from 
gnome-control-center is visible because the share directory will be 
included XDG_DATA_DIRS from the wrapper script from the glib-or-gtk-wrap 
phase but not he other packages).
After that the next most simple solution was the hacky workaround via 
gnome-shell-assets. Maybe someone has a better idea for how to include 
the extra packages?

Also as I use the gnome-desktop via gnome-desktop-service-type all these 
packages should already be in my system profile. So somehow the 
environment is weird when shepherd starts gdm such that gdm can't find 
the extra files but I don't know enough of both guix/shepherd and 
gdm/gnome to figure out what the exact problem is.

> This issue appears to have been discussed previously, although I can't
> find it anymore...
> 

I found https://issues.guix.gnu.org/28088 which is a bit related but not 
exactly the same as there is no login manager involved.