Subject: 24.0.50; Side effect of set-charset-priority

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Starting with emacs -Q, evaluate this in the *scratch* buffer

(list
 (unencodable-char-position 0 5 'iso-latin-1-unix 1 "100 Ω")
 (progn (apply 'set-charset-priority (charset-priority-list))
	(unencodable-char-position 0 5 'iso-latin-1-unix 1 "100 Ω"))
 (progn (apply 'set-charset-priority (list (charset-priority-list t)))
	(unencodable-char-position 0 5 'iso-latin-1-unix 1 "100 Ω")))

It returns ((4) nil (4)). The middle nil is wrong.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2010-03-28 on mach
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> C-x 1 M-x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Load-path shadows:
/Users/hanche/lib/lisp/slime/hyperspec hides /Users/hanche/lib/emacs/hyperspec
/Users/hanche/lib/emacs/md4 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/md4
/Users/hanche/lib/emacs/cl-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-indent

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pp mew-varsx mew-auth mew-config mew-imap2 mew-imap
mew-nntp2 mew-nntp mew-pop mew-smtp mew-ssl mew-ssh mew-net
mew-highlight mew-sort mew-fib mew-ext mew-refile mew-demo mew-attach
mew-draft mew-message mew-thread mew-virtual mew-summary4 mew-summary3
mew-summary2 mew-summary mew-search mew-pick mew-passwd mew-scan
mew-syntax mew-bq mew-smime mew-pgp mew-header mew-exec mew-mark
mew-mime mew-edit mew-decode mew-encode mew-cache mew-minibuf
mew-complete mew-addrbook mew-local mew-darwin mew-vars3 mew-vars2
mew-vars mew-env mew-mule3 mew-mule mew-gemacs mew-key mew-func
mew-blvs mew-const mew debug vc-dispatcher vc-bzr sha1 hex-util
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs regexp-opt find-func help-mode view dabbrev paredit edmacro
kmacro named-strings indentation gnus-custom advice help-fns
advice-preload slime-autoloads parenface paren delsel server
odds-and-ends thingatpt easy-mmode cl cl-19 tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)