Subject: bug#59476: Inconsistency in TeX input method: \ggg vs \Ll

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:06:45 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 23:25:04 -0800, Michael Shulman <[email-masked]> said:

    Michael> The quail key sequences in the "TeX" input method are inconsistent: the
    Michael> key sequence for 0x22D8 VERY MUCH LESS-THAN (⋘) is "\Ll", but the key
    Michael> sequence for 0x22D9 VERY MUCH GREATER-THAN (⋙) is "\ggg".

    Michael> Personally, I would prefer that they be made consistent by changing ⋘ to
    Michael> "\lll" (or at least adding it as an alternative), since the Agda input
    Michael> method, which inherits from the TeX input method, uses "\Gg" for the small
    Michael> Greek letter gamma (γ).

Thereʼs nothing stopping you from doing that locally:

(with-temp-buffer
  (activate-input-method "TeX") ;; the input method has to be triggered for `quail-package-alist' to be non-nil
  (let ((quail-current-package (assoc "TeX" quail-package-alist)))
    (quail-define-rules ((append . t))
                        ("\\lll" ?⋘))))

(I donʼt use the TeX input method, so I canʼt judge if doing that by
default makes sense, although adding it as an alternative seems
relatively harmless.)

Robert
--