Subject: Re: bug#59452: 29.0.50; [PGTK] SIGSEV Args out of range: 6, 6

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:14:30 +0200

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: German Pacenza <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 08:37:54 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > FTR, I didn't see any crashes, only an error message in the echo-area.  But
> > I'm not on PGTK.
> 
> The crash is specific to builds with GLib, where event handlers must not
> be allowed to signal.

If these handlers run Lisp or call primitives or their subroutines, it's a
tough requirement, which is almost impossible to fulfill.  The resulting
build will be very fragile.  Emacs internals signal errors all over the
place.  You could catch errors via internal_condition_case_* etc., but doing
so will sometimes trigger an infinite loop of errors, and make Emacs
unresponsive.