Subject: Re: bug#59448: 29.0.50; URIs in Dictionary are not properly handled

From: Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 05:27:06 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Sorry, I'm not following.  I tried "emacs", "fsf", and "w3c", and I seem to
> get reasonable results.  For example, here's what I see for "w3c":
>
> What exactly is wrong with that?  What am I missing?  And how is handling of
> URIs related to this?
>

The results from dictionary are OK, the issue is how URIs are
interpreted.

For example, "M-x dictionary-search fsf" will bring the correct results
and will transform all "keywords" (e.g.: "GNU", "free software",
"Richard Stallman", "Emacs" etc) into `dictionary-link-button'.  By
pressing RET on these buttons, a `dictionary-new-search' will be
executed, and new correct results will be displayed.  So far so good.

However, URIs (e.g.: "http://cs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/",
"http://delorie.com/gnu/" etc) will also be treated as "keywords",
creating `dictionary-link-button'.  By pressing RET on these buttons, a
`dictionary-new-search' will be executed, and no results will be found
(because there are not results for "http://cs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/").

If we open the dictionary result page for "fsf" in any browser (e.g.:
Firefox, EWW etc), clicking on "keywords" (e.g.: "GNU", "free software",
"Richard Stallman", "Emacs" etc) will display a new dictionary result
page and clicking on URIs (e.g.: "http://cs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/",
"http://delorie.com/gnu/" etc) will open the URI.

The intention of this bug report is to discuss the possibility of
enhancing the default behavior of dictionary to property identify and
handle URIs (i.e., to not treat URIs as ordinary dictionary keywords).
See previous threads for more details.

Let me know if you need additional information.

---
Gabriel