Subject: Re: bug#59444: ADVICE-ON-FAILURE sed syntax error

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:49:50 +0000

Thanks for your bug report.

>
> Right now on Emacs master (d9d8a2eba9), any build error results in
>

Is this new?  That part of the Makefile hasn't changed in the last two 
months, after it was introduced.

>
> The bug is here somewhere (Makefile.in:413):
>
> sed -n '/^# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-BEGIN:${make-target}/,$${p;/^# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-END:${make-target}/q};'
>
> Any reason why this isn't just written
>
> sed -n '/^# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-BEGIN:${make-target}/,/^# ADVICE-ON-FAILURE-END:${make-target}/p'
>
> ? The latter would work with any standard `sed`.
>

Again I tested this with (GNU) sed with --posix, and it gave the expected 
result.  The reason I chose the former expression instead of the latter is 
because it's how I usually write such patterns.  After reading the POSIX 
standard, it turns out that a semicolon is required after the 'q'.  Fixed 
(a3b654e069) and closing.