Subject: Re: bug#59435: 29.0.50; tree-sitter fails to fontify or indent simple function

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 19:01:55 +0800

Florian Weimer <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's odd to ask for a C99 mode explicitly and depend on a feature that
> was removed from C99.  If you write C89 code, you should probably use
> -std=gnu89.

Well, it may not have been in C99, but it was in "GNU99".  The code I
have in mind (not the one that started this bug report) is written that
way, and with -Wno-implicit-int...

> On the other hand, the largest benefit will come from change the
> default.  From that perspective, it won't be necessary to change the
> -std=gnu99 behavior.

Thanks for clarifying.

> Right, it's an argument list mismatch.

Thanks.

> I'm not the C frontend maintainer.  It seems unlikely that this is going
> to be supported because it's one of the major C23 changes.
>
> Before -std=gnu23 becomes the default, GCC will probably start warning
> about calling ()-declared functions with extra arguments, to help with
> porting to a future -std=gnu32-by-default change.  -Wstrict-prototypes
> is not a good proxy for this because it will warn about ()-style
> declarations even in contexts where C23 will align with what the
> programmer intended (no arguments accepted).

Thanks for explaining.