Subject: bug#59435: 29.0.50; tree-sitter fails to fontify or indent simple function

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 09:02:23 +0800

Florian Weimer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Some clarification:
>
> Implicit ints were removed from the language in 1999.  GCC 14 (to be
> released in 2024) will likely no longer accept them by default, along
> with implicit function declarations (also removed in 1999).  But you can
> still get them back using -std=gnu89, and there are no plans to remove
> that.

What about -std=gnu99? Is there a way to get them back there?

> Old-style function definitions will finally be removed in C2X (which
> will probably be called C23), but I've been told that it will be several
> years (but probably not anything close to 25) until GCC switches to
> -std=gnu23 (or whatever the year will be the year of the standard in the
> end).  Function declarations which are not a prototype—void foo();—will
> change meaning and denote a function with an empty parameter list, same
> as today: foo(void);.

No more:

  int (*pFillSpans) ();

  (*pFillSpans) (pDrawable, pGc, nInit, pptInit, pwidthInit, fSorted)

?

Will there be an option to get that back in gnu23?

> Old-style function declarations are still in C18, and so are function
> declarations without a prototype.

Thanks.