Subject: Re: bug#59423: Invalid 'location' field generated in dovecot configuration

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 10:30:55 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>>> That generates two accessors called ‘namespace-configuration-location’.
>>>> The second one shadows the first one.
>>>
>>> Yes.  You didn't address my question directly though, so let me ask it
>>> again: where is this %location field access (named "location") used?
>
> [...]
>
>> … the field is accessed via its accessor,
>> ‘name-configuration-location’.  We can kinda see it here:
>
> [...]
>
>> Each <configuration-field> record has a ‘getter’ field that refers to
>> the accessor.  In the case of ‘location’, that’s the “wrong”
>> accessor—the accessor of ‘%location’.
>>
>> I hope that addresses your question!
>
> No :-).  I meant why do we even set a default accessor for the *source
> location* information (in the (gnu service configuration) macros); it's
> that one that doesn't seem to get used (or I'm blind to it!), at least
> via this accessor.  If it's not strictly necessary, we can stop
> producing it, and that would solve the problem.

Like I wrote, I think it’s necessary, even if not used now.

We’ve been knowingly shipping a broken Dovecot for two weeks now.  As I
wrote, and as Pierre suggested, can we just revert the ‘%location’ field
shuffling for now?  I can even do it on your behalf.

After that we can continue that discussion (though I don’t have much to
add to be honest).

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.