Subject: bug#59420: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 07:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59420: 29.0.50; vc-prepare-patch fails when invoked in a directory

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59420: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59420
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 15:21:15 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is fixed.
-- 
Sean Whitton

Subject: 29.0.50; vc-prepare-patch fails when invoked in a directory
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 21:41:54 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As discovered in bug#59087, `vc-prepare-patch' (via
`package-vc-prepare-patch') fails if invoked in a directory, instead of
version controlled file.  The issue is that the function currently runs

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (save-current-buffer
    (vc-ensure-vc-buffer)
    (let ((patches (mapcar (lambda (rev)
                             (vc-call-backend
                              (vc-responsible-backend default-directory)
                              'prepare-patch rev))
                           revisions)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

which fails because (vc-ensure-vc-buffer) is not enough to select the
right buffer, and instead fails.  Is there a more robust solution that
would try to do /the right thing/?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-19 built on quetzal
Repository revision: db3ff76dc7d3184e51cb7ed17c78ef76babb9032
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  rcirc-color-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/sbbs-pld/sbbs hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/sbbs/sbbs
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug reposition macros mhtml-mode css-mode js cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu rect quail org-element avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect ol-docview ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic ol org-keys oc
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
latex latex-flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex texmathp bibtex shortdoc
flow-fill avy qp align dictionary dictionary-connection goto-addr view
find-dired grep nroff-mode doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ffap
sh-script smie executable markdown-mode pulse color help-fns xref
modus-vivendi-theme rcirc-color rcirc mailalias smtpmail ecomplete sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-bcklg nndoc gnus-dup
debbugs-gnu debbugs-compat debbugs soap-client rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util
xsd-regexp gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table mm-archive url-cache url-http
url-auth url-gw display-line-numbers package-vc magit-extras mule-util
face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
magit-diff git-commit log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor server magit-mode transient edmacro kmacro magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm dash smerge-mode copyright ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs whitespace bug-reference vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-backup vc-git char-fold misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux gnus-dired buffer-env compat compat-macs nndraft nnmh utf-7
nnfolder epa-file network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message yank-media puny dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win noutline outline checkdoc flymake-proc
flymake warnings yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flyspell ispell init
repeat project battery dbus xml shell-command+ thingatpt time sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl log-view pcvs-util
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode hippie-exp winner
windmove corfu-history corfu finder-inf elec-pair tramp-sh tramp
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
cus-edit pp icons files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit
saveplace savehist pixel-scroll cua-base xt-mouse modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes which-func imenu edebug debug backtrace find-func cus-load
setup site-lisp auto-site compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree debbugs-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads buffer-env-autoloads
avy-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads magit-autoloads
inspector-autoloads corfu-terminal-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
macrostep-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
transient-autoloads magit-section-autoloads popon-autoloads
compat-autoloads vundo-autoloads corfu-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads go-mode-autoloads info
dash-autoloads package let-alist derived rx pcase cl-extra help-mode
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars inline epg rfc6068
epg-config subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1193273 253117)
 (symbols 48 49217 126)
 (strings 32 239361 73181)
 (string-bytes 1 6907035)
 (vectors 16 126051)
 (vector-slots 8 2397456 109746)
 (floats 8 2967 1464)
 (intervals 56 26432 1666)
 (buffers 984 52))