Subject: RE: bug#5942: 8.4 "kill" program fails to link on AIX 5.3

From: "Daniel Richard G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:07:42 -0400

Pádraig Brady wrote:
>
> That's very strange.
> Is the `timeout` util built for example as that uses
> much the samem functions as `kill`.
> It's like kill was being built with a different
> toolchain (like xlc_r or something).

The vendor compiler isn't even installed on this system; only GCC.

> Could you provide the build output from `make V=1`.

Of course. Here is the output from compiling and linking the "timeout" and 
"kill" programs:

$ gmake V=1 timeout kill
\
#       source='/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c' object='timeout.o' 
libtool=no
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/build-aux/compile 
gcc -std=gnu99  -I. -I/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src -I../lib  -I/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib 
 -D_ALL_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE  -D_THREAD_SAFE   -pedantic -pipe -fno-common -W 
 -Wall -Wcast-align -Wformat=2 -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Waggregate-return -Wcast-qual 
 -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -maix64 -mminimal-toc 
 -O3 -c /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:21:10: warning: "__GLIBC__" is not defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:51:5: warning: "MAJOR_IN_MKDEV" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:233,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:23:5: warning: "ENABLE_NLS" is not defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:185:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:209:5: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:224:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:255:5: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:270:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:234:7: warning: "ENABLE_NLS" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:302,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/openat.h:40:6: warning: "HAVE_OPENAT" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:409,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/progname.h:39:5: warning: "ENABLE_RELOCATABLE" is not 
defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'ptr_align':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:542: warning: cast discards qualifiers from 
pointer target type
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/timeout.c:63:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'bad_cast':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:625: warning: cast discards qualifiers from 
pointer target type
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'io_blksize':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:670: warning: comparison between signed and 
unsigned
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:670: warning: comparison between signed and 
unsigned
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/build-aux/compile 
gcc -std=gnu99   -pedantic -pipe -fno-common -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wformat=2  
-Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Waggregate-return -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations  
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -maix64 -mminimal-toc -O3   -o timeout 
timeout.o operand2sig.o libver.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a  ../lib/libcoreutils.a
\
#       source='/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c' object='kill.o' libtool=no
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/build-aux/compile 
gcc -std=gnu99  -I. -I/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src -I../lib  -I/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib 
 -D_ALL_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE  -D_THREAD_SAFE   -pedantic -pipe -fno-common -W 
 -Wall -Wcast-align -Wformat=2 -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Waggregate-return -Wcast-qual 
 -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -maix64 -mminimal-toc 
 -O3 -c /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:21:10: warning: "__GLIBC__" is not defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:51:5: warning: "MAJOR_IN_MKDEV" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:233,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:23:5: warning: "ENABLE_NLS" is not defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:185:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:209:5: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:224:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:255:5: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/gettext.h:270:6: warning: "__STRICT_ANSI__" is not 
defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:234:7: warning: "ENABLE_NLS" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:302,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/openat.h:40:6: warning: "HAVE_OPENAT" is not defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:409,
                 from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/lib/progname.h:39:5: warning: "ENABLE_RELOCATABLE" is not 
defined
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'ptr_align':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:542: warning: cast discards qualifiers from 
pointer target type
In file included from /tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/kill.c:35:
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'bad_cast':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:625: warning: cast discards qualifiers from 
pointer target type
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h: In function 'io_blksize':
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:670: warning: comparison between signed and 
unsigned
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/src/system.h:670: warning: comparison between signed and 
unsigned
/tmp/coreutils-8.4/build-aux/compile 
gcc -std=gnu99   -pedantic -pipe -fno-common -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wformat=2  
-Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Waggregate-return -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations  
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -maix64 -mminimal-toc -O3   -o kill 
kill.o operand2sig.o libver.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a  ../lib/libcoreutils.a
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pthread_once
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pthread_getspecific
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pthread_setspecific
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pthread_key_create
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
gmake: *** [kill] Error 1