Subject: bug#59407: [PATCH] Add Colors to proced

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:33:59 +0800

Laurence Warne <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, attached is a patch I've recently been working to do with
> colorizing proced buffers, similar to htop.
>
> In particular, the current Emacs process id is highlighted purple in
> both the process id and parent process id columns, session group
> leaders have their process ids underlined, larger memory sizes for rss
> and vsize are highlighted in darker shades of orange, and the first
> word in the args property (the executable) is highlighted in blue -
> I've attached a couple of screenshots.

Thanks, but what exactly is the purpose of this change?

The more colors that need to be allocated, the slower Emacs becomes over
a wide-area network.  In addition, every time a new color is used,
xfont_draw needs to be called again, generating more network traffic.

Emacs has already become quite slow over a network connection (though
this should have become significantly better in Emacs 29.)

Adding "eye candy" where it is not really necessary will only be a step
backwards.

> (require 'proced)
> (setq-default proced-auto-update-flag t)
> (setq-default proced-auto-update-interval 1)
> (setq proced-enable-color-flag t)

I guess if it is off by default, then I have no objections.  But I
respectfully ask everyone to keep in mind the network impact of changes
they make to Emacs.