Subject: bug#59388: Open emacsclient file at last line

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:55:34 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2022-11-20 22:01]:
> We can invoke functions in the order of --funcall's, but they should run
> after visiting the file.  Nothing else makes sense, and was never possible
> with emacsclient anyway.

I use `-e' to open new frame seeking for specific buffer, or invoking
specific functions.

> So I stand by what I wrote: --funcall'ed functions should run after
> visiting FILE.  It's not a problem, as you can see from the implementation
> of -position in the protocol.

--funcall is similar as `-e' only limited to single function. So I
  suggest that when you implement that, that --funcall may be used
  also without any file, such as emacsclient -c --funcall my-function
  as that way I can invoke necessary programs.

Though it is not logical to tie a "funcall" to file, file may not be
there, or it could be new file, or new frame created, or --funcall can
do useful things in the existing server.

--
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/