Subject: bug#59388: Open emacsclient file at last line

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:05:57 +0000

>> And that also means that the default (waiting) mode of emacsclient is 
>> not available.
>
> And that is a problem?  This use case is explicitly for human use (in 
> contrast to the +LINE:COLUMN FILE case which is for programs that call 
> $EDITOR).  And it is a rare use case on top of that.  So why typing a 
> few words is a problem, and why does it justify yet another tweak of the 
> UI?
>

I don't know, but I'd say that the added complexity is minimal for 
something that looks like a legitimate use case.

>
> But if we do want to make this easier, I'd go with a new command-line 
> switch, say, "--eob".  The Vim way is cryptic and error-prone, so I 
> don't think we should do the same.  And I don't see at all why would 
> someone needs to say "N lines from EOF".
>

One possible use case is "open a log file to look at the last N entries".