Subject: Re: bug#59388: Open emacsclient file at last line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 20:32:14 +0200

> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 18:21:26 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Well, to achieve what he wants Janek would have to do something like
> 
> emacsclient --eval '(progn (find-file "FILE") (goto-char (point-max)))'
> 
> And that also means that the default (waiting) mode of emacsclient is not 
> available.

And that is a problem?  This use case is explicitly for human use (in contrast
to the +LINE:COLUMN FILE case which is for programs that call $EDITOR).  And it
is a rare use case on top of that.  So why typing a few words is a problem, and
why does it justify yet another tweak of the UI?

But if we do want to make this easier, I'd go with a new command-line switch,
say, "--eob".  The Vim way is cryptic and error-prone, so I don't think we
should do the same.  And I don't see at all why would someone needs to say "N
lines from EOF".