Subject: [bug#59383] [PATCH] doc: Call out potential for downgrade attacks with time-machine.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 18:39:50 +0100

Hi Tobias, thanks for your thoughts.

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:
> pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) 写道：
>> @quotation Note
>> Naturally, no security fixes can be provided for old versions of Guix
>> or its channels.  This also means that careless use of @command{guix
>> time-machine} opens the door to downgrade attacks.
>> @xref{Invoking guix pull, @option{--allow-downgrades}}.
>> @end quotation
> ‘Attack’ is a very big word.  It should not end a paragraph.  What
> would the downgrade attack—distinct from a downgrade—look like?

My choice of words was the same as in the unattended upgrades service,
but perhaps I should add before the @xref:

Suggestions to ``just use the time machine'' could be attempts to trick
people to use old software.  But they can also get you back to a working
state.

Regards,
Florian