Subject: Re: bug#59381: Should xref--marker-ring be per-window?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:30:34 +0200

> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 05:19:22 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> >>>> But maybe it will be helpful for you to elaborate: what the workflow
> >>>> would look like. Would it be a parallel set of commands, or simply a
> >>>> command to... do what?
> >>>
> >>> I just did that, above: add a command that starts a new "stack".  All the
> >>> rest is unchanged.
> >>
> >> What would happen with the current stack, though?
> > 
> > It's discarded, as no longer needed.
> 
> That sounds odd. The idea regarding windows is about keeping multiple 
> stacks at the same time, not about discarding information.

My idea is not about windows, though.  It's about a workflow that resembles
searches: you keep searching for the same or similar strings as long as you
are interested in a particular string/regexp; as long as you do that, using
"C-s C-s" to repeat search, perhaps with minor edits of the search string,
is what you want.  Then, when you want another search, you discard the
previous search string and start with a completely new one.

> >>> So you always ever have a given buffer displayed in a single window?
> >>
> >> Not necessarily, no. If it's a big file, I can have two parallel
> >> "investigations" going on in two different window on it. Using two
> >> different navigation stacks. That's a feature.
> > 
> > It's a feature if you indeed want a separate stack in each window.  What if
> > you want the same stack in all of those windows?
> 
> Maybe you never do? Or if you really do, that would require some 
> additional manual management (through new commands, I suppose).

I do that sometimes, not to rarely to remember it as a feature.  That's why
I suggested an explicit command, because I don't think Emacs can guess my
intentions in this case.