Subject: bug#5937: 23.1.95; why saving empty abbrev tables

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:31:13 -0400

>> I'd rather call edit-abbrevs-redefine from the new command you'll bind
>> to C-x C-w.
> Do you mean 'C-x C-s'? C-x C-w is bound to write-abbrev-file in the
> patch? If so, I guess it makes sense not to bind C-x C-w.

Oh, I didn't notice this part of the patch.  So I guess what I'm
suggesting is to create a new command for use in C-x C-w which calls
edit-abbrevs-redefine and then calls interactively write-abbrev-file.
The issue with write-abbrev-file is that it's called from
save-some-buffers so we can't/shouldn't bind it to edit-abbrevs.

Maybe another solution is to change edit-abbrevs-mode so that
save-buffer and write-file work in it by calling internally
write-abbrev-file.  Note sure if that can be made to work without major
surgery, tho (write-region-annotate-functions could do some of it, but
I think the lack of buffer-file-name setting will get in the way, so
we'd have to change edit-abbrevs so that it sets buffer-file-name and
is really turned into a major mode to edit the .abbrev-defs file, which
seems like a fairly different beast).

        Stefan