Subject: Re: bug#59361: linux-libre 6 breaks OpenGL on nouveau driver for nvidia 8800 GTS 640 Mo card

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 12:31:00 -0400

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> When booting my Guix System with linux-libre 6.0.8, nouveau silently
> fails to render OpenGL.  It includes symptoms such as:
>
> 1. Getting stuck on the GDM screen, which makes use of OpenGL
> 2. Not being able to use Qt5 or Qt6 applications, which renders via
> OpenGL.
> 3. the 'glxgears' program from mesa-utils displays frozen gears (not
> turning)
>
> My graphic card is an old nvidia 8800 GTS with 640 MiB of video RAM.
>
> Workaround: Adding the '(kernel linux-libre-5.15)' to my OS definition
> fixes it.

I tried using linux-libre 6.8.8 today (Guix commit
df3d30819e650a490ef39dd6692740bb13263c75), which has Mesa 24.0.4, and
can no longer reproduce the problem described above.

I'm thus happily closing this!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim