Subject: bug#59358: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 22:16:01 +0000

Your bug report

#59358: 29.0.50; failing to load .eln for init file sets user-init-file to warnings.el

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59358: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59358
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 23:14:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The more serious bug is fixed with this commit:

8ec8decd9f  of  2022-11-20
Avoid native compiler setting user-init-file to warnings.el (bug#59358)

I'll open a new bug report with the first issue (the native compiler being
unable to compile .emacs).

Subject: 29.0.50; failing to load .eln for init file sets user-init-file to warnings.el
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:17:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If you use ~/.emacs instead of ~.emacs.d/init.el, and happen to compile
.emacs, Emacs loads .emacs.elc (as it has always done), but the native
compiler does *not* know how to compile it (because it does not know how to
locate its source), so it gives a warning:

022-11-18 02:54:01+0100 Warning (comp): Cannot look up eln file as no
source file was found for d:/Home/.emacs.elc

and then it assigns the user-init-file to the native-compiled warnings.el,

"d:/Home/.emacs.d/native/29.0.50-a4a10996/warnings-28e75f4d-02da775e.eln"

which now, with the fix for bug#59334, ends up pointing to warnings.el:

ELISP> user-init-file
"d:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el"