Subject: Re: bug#59351: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Fix mouse click position to menu bar entry

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:23:09 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 13:41:25 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> [...]
>> 
>> > When you click on the menu bar, Emacs drops down a menu, right?  For
>> > example, if you click on "File", you will see a menu with items like
>> > "Visit New File...", "Open File..." etc.  After that, if you click in
>> > the dropped-down menu, is the code you suggest to modify involved, and
>> > if so, does the conversion from X/Y to COL/ROW still work?
>> 
>> Po could correct me but I do not think that this code is involved here.
>> I think that when *into* the menu most things are done by the oldXmenu
>> library.
>
> Possibly.  It's been a while since I looked at that code and debugged
> it.

Please see my other reply.  The pseudo-window is changed when a menu bar
is activated on a TTY with a mouse, but not under X, where the XMenu
library is used to display the menu.  Since the proposed code only makes
a difference on terminals with variable-width fonts, my suggestion is to
use it only on X terminals, whilst letting the TTY menu bar operate as
before.