Subject: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:59:00 +0000

>>> AFAIU, Stefan discovered that the problematic attribute was foundry, 
>>> and and your patch does nothing about foundry.
>>
>> I don't know how he reached that conclusion, but it's most likely not 
>> the cause of the problem.
>
> He described how he reached that conclusion in
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59347#65
>

Thanks.  What he describes there looks like a workaround more than a 
solution to me.  The actual problem is that

-misc-fixed-*-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

selects

-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

in which you see the 'medium' height.

>
> If we don't make font_score consistent with the change you made, we will 
> have other weird problems.  Maybe not in this particular case (although 
> I'm not sure even in this), but in others.
>

Thanks, I think I see what you mean now.  I overlooked the fact that 
font_select_entity is called with attrs and not with work, so indeed 
font_score called in font_sort_entities might reject (?) a legitimate 
font.  Is that what you mean?