Subject: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:51:17 +0000

>
> No matter whether or not a variable is supposed to be changed by the 
> user, it must not be a bitmask!  And in general, it must not be 
> confusing to users.  Users are supposed to debug Emacs.
>

They are not supposed to debug a (very subtle) part of the code they do 
not understand.

>
> Then feel free to write a better doc string, instead of outright 
> reverting the change.  The only requirement is that it must describe the 
> variable in terms that users can understand, even if it is somewhat 
> vague.
>

That's not possible.  You would understand that if you had read the post 
upthread in which I describe in every detail what that variable does and 
why.  But you don't care, apparently.

>
> If users are not supposed to set the variable, then delete it 
> completely.  Otherwise, users will set it, and documentation they cannot 
> understand is just asking for trouble.
>

That variable was added because Eli asked for it, to help debugging future 
problems in that (very subtle) area on the code.  But I already said that 
three or four times, and you don't care, apparently.