Subject: Re: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:58:03 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:46:46 -0500
> 
> Is there some way I can ask Emacs for (something approximating) an
> explanation of why that `:family` specification was ignored?

The only way I know is to set font-log to nil before you do this, and
then look at the log.  But I have never learned anything useful from
that log.

> I'm looking at debbugs search for "dejavu sans" but can't see anything
> that suggests a problem specific to that font (and those I find just
> seem to be using "DejaVu Sans Mono" rather than "DejaVu Sans").
> Do you remember particular instances?

Look at the DejaVu Sans Mono issues, I think they are the same font,
basically.

Anyway, can you confirm that using other fonts instead of DejaVu Sans
does work?