Subject: Re: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:38:19 +0000

>
> Whereas with your proposal, it will start from a "clean slate" every 
> time and will need to examine many (if not all) of the fonts on the 
> system to be sure score-only matches will find the best candidate.
>

That's not what it does, no.  The loop in font_find_for_lface limits the 
number of fonts that are considered to some foundry, family, registry and 
additional style, and only considers more fonts if no suitable fonts have 
been found.

>
> Also, font_score only scores the numerical attributes, so how do we 
> assess the "score" of matches for :family or :adstyle?
>

That's the purpose of the loop at the end of font_find_for_lface.  It 
starts with a specific spec and gradually makes it less specific if 
necessary (that is, if no suitable font has been found with a more 
specific spec).