Subject: Re: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 10:25:34 -0500

>> So let me return the question: what part of the above code makes you
>> think it's correct for Emacs to use a different font than the DejaVu Sans?
> The part where you requested a misc-fixed font.

I can't see how a "misc-fixed" default fault would prevent the use of
DejaVu Sans font for particular parts of the text.  This has worked for
the last 10 years or so, AFAIK.

>> > Like, for example, that DejaVu Sans doesn't have a variant with the
>> > size that matches the default face's font?
>> DejaVu is a scalable font, so I can't see how it could not have a size
>> that matches.
> Of course, it can.
> And if it isn't because of size, it can be because of some other font
> attribute, like weight.

I can't see which such attribute in my example would explain the
behavior I see.

> Bottom line: you cannot expect Emacs to select a font from a family
> you request, not with a 100% reliability anyway.  Emacs can decide
> not to.

I sense a bit of defensiveness in your responses.  I'm really trying to
fix an actual misbehavior in my config (one which at first sight looks
to me like a plain bug, or at least a plain regression).

What should I change in my recipe in order to keep the same default font
but get the DejaVu Sans that used to get?

        Stefan