Subject: Re: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:08:30 +0200

> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:48:59 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> All in all, it seems to me that we should not change font_score now.

OK, thanks.

> > Btw, another conceptual issue I have with your patch is that it treats 
> > 'medium' and 'regular' asymmetrically (AFAIU): if we see 'medium', we 
> > also consider 'normal', but not vice versa.  Why the asymmetry? why not 
> > always consider the other when we see the one?
> >
> 
> That's correct, indeed.  The reason (which is perhaps not convincing 
> enough?) is that fonts with an explicit 'medium' variant are less common 
> than fonts with an explicit 'normal' variant.  So if we're trying to find 
> a 'normal' font, the likelihood that a 'medium' font would be a better 
> match than a 'normal' font is low.

I understand, but are there any downsides to making it symmetrical?

My only other comment is that perhaps the consideration of 'regular' when
'medium' was required (or vice versa) should be controlled by a variable
that people could tweak from Lisp.  This would help us if this change
causes, or is suspected to cause, some regression in some case.