Subject: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:13:54 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:59:38 -0500
> 
> So let me return the question: what part of the above code makes you
> think it's correct for Emacs to use a different font than the DejaVu Sans?

The part where you requested a misc-fixed font.

> > Like, for example, that DejaVu Sans doesn't have a variant with the
> > size that matches the default face's font?
> 
> DejaVu is a scalable font, so I can't see how it could not have a size
> that matches.

Of course, it can.

And if it isn't because of size, it can be because of some other font
attribute, like weight.

Bottom line: you cannot expect Emacs to select a font from a family
you request, not with a 100% reliability anyway.  Emacs can decide not
to.