Subject: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:30:41 -0500

>> I'd have to investigate this, is it really worth the effort given that a 
>> proper fix has already been found?
> I'd like to hear Stefan say that this is fixed on his system as well.

As mentioned in my other message, it does fix it for me.

> And yes, I'd still be interested in understanding why asking for
> another foundry fixed or worked around the problem.

Haven't found that out yet.

>> > Yes.  We need to make sure the scoring will not now sometimes prefer the 
>> > medium weight where the regular weight exists and is a better match. 
>> > Not only should it not reject a legitimate font, but also not prefer 
>> > another font due to this change.  IOW, the change should ideally only 
>> > affect the cases where the 'medium' weight doesn't exist, and we 
>> > therefore prefer to use 'regular' rather than reject the family.
[...]
> Thanks, it's indeed the other cases that I worry about.  We had a lot of
> changes in this area which solved one problem only to create others.

BTW, when scoring fonts, I'd expect that the different weights get
turned into a number and we then look at the difference between the
requested number and the font's number.  This way `medium` and `normal`
won't be considered as "equal" but "almost equal" [ tho, to be honest,
I have no idea which of `regular`, `normal`, and `medium` is supposed to
be heavier or lighter.  The same problem can affect the width attribute
where many of the possible choices seem to use just arbitrarily
different names for the same thing.  ]

        Stefan