Subject: bug#59347: 29.0.50; `:family` face setting ignored

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:11:11 +0000

>>> Does this font have a 'regular' weight?  If it does, why didn't Emacs 
>>> choose the 'regular' variant?
>>
>> Because the spec specified that it should find a medium variant.  So 
>> regular variants are rejected (because of 65fd3ca84f).
>
> No, the spec was -misc-fixed-*-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, so 
> any weight should be okay.  See Stefan's original recipe.
>

It's the spec of the default face, so its realization takes place before 
the realization of the other one (DejaVu Sans), and the medium weight is 
selected.  When Emacs tries to realize the DejaVu Sans font, it sees that 
DejaVu Sans does not have a medium weight, and it is rejected.

>> I'd have to investigate this, is it really worth the effort given that 
>> a proper fix has already been found?
>
> I'd like to hear Stefan say that this is fixed on his system as well. 
> And yes, I'd still be interested in understanding why asking for another 
> foundry fixed or worked around the problem.
>

Okay, I'll try to find out if I have time.

>
> Thanks, it's indeed the other cases that I worry about.  We had a lot of 
> changes in this area which solved one problem only to create others.
>

If bug fixes did not create other bugs, programming wouldn't be fun, isn't 
it? ;-)