Subject: Re: bug#59346: Adding sqlite-backup

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:36:39 -0300

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 4:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 08:17:21 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> >
> > When SQLite is already included in Emacs, it should not expect then
> > that external SQLite related software is available on the system.
>
> I disagree.  We included sqlite support in Emacs to let Lisp programs
> gain access to databases, but we didn't intend to make Emacs a
> platform for developing full-fledged sqlite applications.

I now see where you are coming from.  But I never knew your intentions and
have been working on SQLite-based applications. It seems I’m not the only
one. I think this represents a natural evolution where users are pushing
the system beyond what is intended. That’s not a bad thing, and I think
emacs should follow the desire paths carved out be users here.

It’s fine to wait until the trends are clearer, but I think this is a very
natural direction for module development, so its just a matter of time.

  And I see
> nothing wrong with using external applications for DB administration,
> especially since the tools to do that come with the same sqlite
> installation as the library.

>
> > It is logical that Emacs with SQLite included should have proper way
> > of doing backup without relying on external tools.
>
> You take that logic too far beyond our intent.
>