Subject: bug#59337: 28.1; Eshell expression ${elisp_expression} inside String does not parse

From: Milan Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:30:49 -0500

================================
Emacs 28.1 running as

emacs -Q

M-x eshell

~/tmp $ echo "Epoch started on ${date 0}"

Expected result: "Epoch started on Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 196"
Actual result:   "Epoch started on date 0: command not found"

Comments: It appears that inside a string, in expression such as

echo "Epoch started on ${elisp_expression}"

is not parsed by the elisp parser into ${commands arguments}. Instead, the
full string "elisp_expression" ("date 0" in the example) is being looked up
as a command.
================================

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
cairo version 1.17.6)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos
 --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules
 --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-native-compilation
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/28.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets --build=x86_64-suse-linux
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  text-scale-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
map text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs cl-seq time-date subr-x face-remap
em-unix em-term term disp-table shell ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-hist em-pred em-glob em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv delsel
lpr easy-mmode pcase iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97578 7734)
 (symbols 48 8669 0)
 (strings 32 26569 2292)
 (string-bytes 1 915418)
 (vectors 16 17475)
 (vector-slots 8 319768 16435)
 (floats 8 37 31)
 (intervals 56 703 0)
 (buffers 992 14))