Subject: bug#59337: closed (Re: bug#59337: Validated fixed in emacs 29)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 08:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59337: 28.1; Eshell expression ${elisp_expression} inside String does not parse

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59337: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59337
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59337: Validated fixed in emacs 29
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Milan Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:19:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 28.1; Eshell expression ${elisp_expression} inside String does not parse
From: Milan Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:30:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

================================
Emacs 28.1 running as

emacs -Q

M-x eshell

~/tmp $ echo "Epoch started on ${date 0}"

Expected result: "Epoch started on Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 196"
Actual result:   "Epoch started on date 0: command not found"

Comments: It appears that inside a string, in expression such as

echo "Epoch started on ${elisp_expression}"

is not parsed by the elisp parser into ${commands arguments}. Instead, the
full string "elisp_expression" ("date 0" in the example) is being looked up
as a command.
================================

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
cairo version 1.17.6)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --without-hesiod --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos
 --with-kerberos5 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules
 --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-native-compilation
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/28.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets --build=x86_64-suse-linux
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  text-scale-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
map text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs cl-seq time-date subr-x face-remap
em-unix em-term term disp-table shell ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-hist em-pred em-glob em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv delsel
lpr easy-mmode pcase iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97578 7734)
 (symbols 48 8669 0)
 (strings 32 26569 2292)
 (string-bytes 1 915418)
 (vectors 16 17475)
 (vector-slots 8 319768 16435)
 (floats 8 37 31)
 (intervals 56 703 0)
 (buffers 992 14))