Subject: Re: bug#59334: 29.0.50; loading native-compiled init file sets user-init-file to .eln

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:50:44 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 04:03:32 +0100
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> If the init file was loaded from .eln, do we want it to warn the user
> - when init.el is newer than init.elc, or
> - when init.el is newer than [whatever]/init-xxxxxxxx-yyyyyyy.eln (as it's doing now)?

The second one cannot happen, AFAIU: Emacs will not load an outdated
.eln file.  That's why Emacs insists on having access to the .el
source file when it is about to load a .eln file.

As for the first one, I'm not sure if a warning is necessary.  For
starters, it will be a very rare one, since when we compile to produce
an updated .eln file, we also produce an updated .elc file.  And
emitting a warning in that case might confuse users, making them think
Emacs loaded the .elc file (otherwise why should Emacs bother about
its being outdated?).

So, on balance, I think the answer is NO to both.

Andrea, WDYT?