Subject: bug#59333: [PATCH] Define macro dlet*

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 09:25:00 +0200

> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 14:13:35 +0700
> From: daanturo <[email-masked]>
> 
> The dlet breakage comes as much surprise to me. There's not even a
> single entry in NEWS that mentions it.

dlet was new in Emacs 28, and the change you mention was done before
Emacs 28 was released.  So NEWS just mentions the introduction of
dlet, and that is enough.

> I would rather prefer b72f88518b89560accf740a4548368863e6238e0 be
> reverted, though. But maybe that's fine if the majority of maintainers
> agree with that change. But please mention similar breakages more
> universally.

I can only understand the breakage if someone picked up dlet as
originally implemented on master, before Emacs 28 was released.  In
that case, it's the risk people take when they follow the development
code too closely.

As for the patch, I'd like to hear opinions about the need for dlet*.

Thanks.