Subject: Re: bug#59286: Documentation for seq-count

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:18:22 +0100

Heime via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> A description that is quite undecipherable.

I have recently used this function for the first time (when contributing
to Org), and I found its description *exceptionally* clear.  What do you
find undecipherable?

P.S. #1

It helps to know that "PRED" stands for the English word PREDICATE.

Experienced users and native speakers may laugh, but the fact that "BEG"
does not mean "to beg" but "the beginning", adds completely unnecessary
cognitive overhead to some.  The same applies to "PRED".

(The Scheme standard, for example, also uses shorthand forms, such as
"obj", but it lists all of them, right at the beginning.  Perhaps Emacs
has such a list too?  If so, the help browser should use it to assist
the user to make sense of these non-words.)

P.S. #2

When I used this function, I wished it would take ELEMENT-OR-PREDICATE,
so that

  (seq-count 2 '(0 2 2 2 0)) => 3,

and I still wonder if Emacs comes with any such function.

(I ended up using `equal' wrapped in the PREDICATE.)

Rudy
-- 
"Mathematics takes us still further from what is human into the region
of absolute necessity, to which not only the actual world, but every
possible world, must conform."
-- Bertrand Russell, 1902

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia