Subject: 29.0.50; `custom-set-faces' does not respect :height when set on start-up

From: Mickey Petersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 09:32:46 +0000

Regression from Emacs 28.x.

$ cat face-only-custom.el
(custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:background "black" :foreground
"gainsboro" :weight regular :height 173 :width normal :family "Cascadia
Code")))))

Tested against the bleeding edge today:

./emacs -q --eval "$(cat ~/.emacs.d/face-only-custom.el)"

This applies the font face and colours but _not_ height. Subsequent eval
will correctly apply `:height'.

Note that this is _also_ the case when it is called through the custom
machinery; it is not required to demonstrate the issue though.

Thanks

Mickey.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 14, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-15 built on mickey-work
Repository revision: 0ac626f1d4eba84bd988a16991178ff25a07ece5
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json --with-mailutils
  --without-compress-install --with-imagemagick CC=gcc-10'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 83846 7146)
  (symbols 48 7110 0)
  (strings 32 22988 1750)
  (string-bytes 1 722632)
  (vectors 16 17600)
  (vector-slots 8 341685 15174)
  (floats 8 30 38)
  (intervals 56 224 0)
  (buffers 984 11))