Subject: bug#59279: Mpv also won't play video on Guix System

From: Markus Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:08:51 +0000

I can confirm that on Guix System mpv also fails after the upgrade to 0.35
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59240>.

Mpv won't play videos but it can play audio in the terminal. When trying to
play videos it will give the following error:

"[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be
unavailable.
amdgpu_device_initialize: amdgpu_query_info(ACCEL_WORKING) failed (-13)
amdgpu: amdgpu_device_initialize failed.
[vo/gpu] Failed to commit ModeSetting atomic request (-13)
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set CRTC for connector 66: Permission denied
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (--vo) device.
Video: no video

Exiting... (Errors when loading file)"

This also sometimes causes the desktop environment to crash and go to the
login screen.

A quick google search indicates that this seems to happen because mpv now
needs libxpresent to work with x11 (just like Jorge P. de Morais said above
):

Mpv Issue no.
<https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/10327#issuecomment-1162820068>
10327
<https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/10327#issuecomment-1162820068>
Arch Linux package mpv-git
<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mpv-git#comment-870591>
Mpv Issue no. 9773
<https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/9773#issuecomment-1175611463>

I would submit a patch to fix this if I was better at guile. Is someone out
there up to the task?

Cheers
Markus