Subject: bug#59277: Latest guix documentation - version number scrambled ?

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:06:48 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 at 16:56, Sébastien FARGE <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>  A consequence is that all links using the version number are broken.
>>>
>>>  For exemple, on the page : https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation.html#Copying-to-a-USB-Stick
>>
>>  Indeed, but the image is not built for each commit. Well, I do not know
>>  if it is fixable – or if it makes sense to fix. It is the devel manual
>>  after all. ;-)
>
> Does a documentation with broken links makes sense ?

The point is that the (devel) manual is referring to some release only URLs:

    https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/

The images there are only updated when a new release is out.  It is not
a rolling-release URL updated by the CI but a very stable URL manually
updated (I guess).

This URL in the manual is generated by

@indicateurl{@value{BASE-URL}/guix-system-install-@value{VERSION}.x86_64-linux.iso},

where VERSION is from version.texi generated at compile-time, IIRC.

The simplest is to add a warning note mentioning the issue and pointing to:

    https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/latest/

A more convoluted solution would to introduce another version label as
RELEASE-VERSION and use it in these places in the manual.

Cheers,
simon